Monday, December 27, 2010

NEW YEAR GOAL SETTING

Greetings in Jesus’ name! I pray you have a New Year full of good health, joy, blessings, and … peace.

It’s that time of year when we can look back at our previous goals to see what our successes—and failures—were. If you’re like me, you’ll be transferring some of the “not done yet” goals to your new goals for 2011. I do it with my daily To Do lists, why not with my yearly list also? Perhaps you can relate.

Among the run-of-the-mill goals I’ll be setting for 2011 (you know: eat less, exercise more, finish writing my Book Two of the “Ways of the Williwaw” series, write a memoir chapter each week, etc. etc.), I choose to meditate on and seek God’s incomparable peace. Although it comes easier as I grow in the Lord, I haven’t attained all the peace He promises. There will always be glitches that sneak into my day. Peace robbers, I call them, but only when I allow them to steal my peace. I’ve learned, by this time in my life, that the closer I stick by Him, the easier it is to avoid the theft of God’s peace from my life.

May the God of peace sustain you through every day.


ETERNAL PERSPECTIVES by Sally Bair

Peace is a Worthy Goal

I live in the middle of a cedar grove sheltered from the wind and the noise of traffic. It’s so peaceful that people have said there’s “an open heaven” here. I like that description. It tells me that God and His angels surround this place. Perhaps it’s the open heaven feeling that helps me experience such peace here. The subject of peace has filled my mind lately. Peace is part of the Fruit of the Spirit, a biblical description of what the Holy Spirit helps followers of Christ achieve.

A few years ago I made it a goal to spend the entire year pursuing God’s love. Part of my goal was to memorize 1 Corinthians 13 about love. This year I intend to search for Bible references to peace. I already know some. Jesus said, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives ….” (John 14:27) And when Jesus appeared to His disciples after His resurrection, His first words were “Peace to you.” (Luke 24:36) Imagine! He offered them His peace even after they had deserted Him during His terrible suffering and death on the cross.

Jesus’ birth in Bethlehem pointed to peace when the angels heralded His coming. “Glory to God in the highest,” they sang, “and on earth peace, goodwill toward men.” (Luke 2:14) Peace on earth? Can that be, with wars and injustice rampant all over the world? Yes, it can be—for those of us who have “inherited the Kingdom of God.”

God’s Kingdom is based on righteousness, love, and joy in the Holy Spirit. That brings great, inner peace which in turn brings peace to those around us. It’s not always easy, especially in the midst of trials and turmoil, sickness and death, rejections and losses. But God’s peace promises to sustain us.

His peace is an incredible gift that tends to spread like ripples on water to our families and friends, our communities and nation, across the seas to other lands. The gift of God’s peace cannot be overemphasized. It’s worth more than the richest gems.

Let’s all “Seek peace and pursue it.” (Psalm 34:14)

Lord, You have promised that if we ask of You, it shall be given and when we seek, we shall find. I ask that all who read these words will seek Your most worthy and blessed gift of inner peace this new year. In Jesus’ name, amen.
sneak into my day. Peace robbers, I call them, but only when I allow them to steal my peace. I’ve learned, by this time in my life, that the closer I stick by Him, the easier it is to avoid the theft of God’s peace from my life.

May the God of peace sustain you through every day.

No comments: