Monday, March 7, 2011

A TIME FOR SEEKING


I’m off to a Christian writer’s retreat in Green Lake. There’s much preparation involved for my six-day stay: prepare food, pack clothing, laptop, lamp, lots of writing and reading material, and see to dozens of details to tie up loose ends. If I don’t prepare carefully, I may be sorry. I may lose precious time.

The highlight of the retreat will be to seek God’s will in my writing endeavors. If I don’t prepare, I may miss out on what He wants me to write. Tomorrow may be too late. But thanks be to God, it’s never too late NOW to seek the Lord.

ETERNAL PERSPECTIVES by Sally Bair

Tomorrow May Be Too Late

Death is not a popular subject in our culture. It comes suddenly for many—a heart attack, a road accident, an enemy’s bullet. It’s our human nature to see future days, not the end of days. We reach forward for an education, a mate, children, and business success with all of its earthly benefits. And when we retire, we’re encouraged to live healthy, full lives in our few remaining years. The only plans we make for our demise are in making a will, leaving a financial legacy, and buying a cemetery plot.

It is said that there are no atheists in foxholes. It’s when we face possible death that we’re most likely to call out to God and think about the hereafter.

David, a devout follower of God, had such thoughts when he believed he was facing a mortal illness because of his past sins. “Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am weak; O Lord, heal me, for my bones are troubled …. Return, O Lord, deliver me! Oh, save me for Your mercies’ sake. For in death there is no remembrance of You; in the grave who will give You thanks?” (Psalm 6:2-5)

David’s words are a sobering reminder that once we die, it is too late to call upon God for mercy. That’s why David called on Him while he yet lived. This is a lesson for all of us. God wants us to call upon Him today, not only for help and strength, but for our eternal salvation, because once we die, it will be too late.

God’s Word rings with reminders to be prepared for our last day on earth. “We then, as workers together with Him, also plead with you not to receive the grace of God in vain. For He says: ‘In an acceptable time I have heard you, and in the day of salvation I have helped you.’ Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.” (2 Corinthians 6:1-2)

Lord, like David, we want to be ready for the day of our death. We believe in and accept Your Son, Jesus, as our only Savior from sin. While we yet live, may we never forget the merciful sacrifice of His life on the cross for our sins. We thank You for Your loving salvation, in Jesus’ name, amen.

No comments: