Monday, August 6, 2012

OH HAPPY DAY! THE LORD IS NEAR

The sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, and everything shines with joy. If it were dark with rain and wind, I would still be joyful because I know that God is with me. He is my Savior, protector, and strength. He is my sustainer, provider, and hope for the future. How about you?

ETERNAL PERSPECTIVES  by Sally Bair

Tomorrow
   
When I was young, I could hardly wait to grow up and be like my big sister. Then I could wear makeup and go to parties and have boyfriends and …

After marriage when my first child was a baby, I could hardly wait until she spoke her first word and took her first step. Two babies later, I could hardly wait until they were all out of diapers. Later still, I could hardly wait until they were all in school … out of school for the summer … out on their own … 

It seems like all I did was wait for tomorrow. Usually I looked forward to tomorrow with anticipation. Sometimes, however, I viewed the next day with dread: a dental appointment, facing the pediatrician with medical news about a child, getting through my first day on a job.

Why does it take us so long to learn to live in the now? Concern about tomorrow is not an uncommon habit, apparently, for even Jesus spoke about it. "Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (Matthew 5:34) Jesus spoke these words immediately after telling us that we must seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, then everything we need will be given to us.

I don’t believe that Jesus meant we shouldn’t plan ahead for retirement or for possible illness or the cold days of winter. I believe He meant we shouldn’t keep our focus on tomorrow’s plans but to live in the now. I think of the times I’ve spent in the past trying to capture the perfect photo for the future and missing out on the beauty of the moment. When we focus on the moment, we realize anew the wonderful gifts God has bestowed on us. We realize too that our relationship with Him is the most important one we can have—for our days on earth and for eternity.  

Some people die suddenly, thus facing eternity before they expect to. We may die suddenly, too. But if we make sure our relationship with God through Christ is secure and our relationship with others is right, we don’t have to be concerned with tomorrow. God will take care of our tomorrows.

Lord, we thank you for the gift of today. Help us to make good use of it by seeking You first, by showing love to and reconciling with those around us, and by trusting that You will meet tomorrow's needs. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: