Monday, August 19, 2013

IN ORDER "TO DO" FOR GOD, WE MUST BE WILLING "TO BE" FOR HIM



Besides keeping a daily “to do” list, I need to keep a “to be” list, a be-like-Him list. Such a list should help me to be still before the Lord, to be aware of His voice as I seek what to include on my To Do list. My To Be list should also keep me from wasting time and allowing life’s distractions from getting in my way as I seek His will. After all, how can any of us accomplish His will unless we’re willing to become—to be—like Him?

ETERNAL PERSPECTIVES  by Sally Bair

Our Faith Muscles                


During our high school years my twin sister and I, along with our neighbor-friend, worked nights at the old Stokely-Van Camp bean factory in Frederic. Around midnight we walked the two miles home. Back then there were fewer houses and more woods. Whether moonlit or dark as coal, we always hurried.

At one corner an old, abandoned house sat back in the woods. We called it the haunted house and ran past like a whirlwind. It’s a wonder we didn’t fall head over toes in our nightly flights.

Arriving at our friend’s driveway, my twin and I always begged her to walk us halfway home, we were that scared. Our brave, generous friend always agreed.

My sister and I were wimps back then – afraid of birds, butterflies, dark basements, being alone, and more. How grateful I am for having lost most of my fears. I can attribute part of that to my faith in God, which has grown considerably over the years.

We adults live with fears, too. Fear of failure, sickness, death, money loss, or rejection. None of us are exempt from situations that can turn our heart to racing. God knows our fears. In fact, some say there are enough “fear nots” and “do not be afraids” in the Bible to fill each day of the year. He offers a better alternative: faith.

Faith is God’s gift to us. When we choose to believe in Him, our fears diminish. But like a muscle, our faith can and should grow stronger. The Old Testament has wonderful examples of God’s chosen people who believed in His presence and became victorious in the midst of seemingly insurmountable problems. In each case, they had developed an intimate relationship with God, and that helped stretch their faith muscles. Yes, they probably all experienced the metallic taste of fear. Nevertheless, their faith guided them through their fears (often on the battleground) to victory. We too find victory over fear and an increase of faith when we take steps to remain close to and obedient to God.

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9)

Lord, forgive us for the times we’ve allowed fear to immobilize us, keeping us from developing stronger faith muscles. Give us the desire and boldness to step out in faith, even as Peter did when he walked on water. Help us keep our eyes on Jesus, our strength and salvation. In Jesus’ name, amen.
           




No comments: