Monday, July 21, 2014

SUMMERTIME AND THE LIVING IS. . . QUIET AND PEACEFUL WITHOUT TV



Considering the past two short summers, it behooves us to take advantage of every day. Blessings from God, the long days allow us ample chance to enjoy all of His wonderful creation. Even in towns such as mine, deer and bears roam freely—great sights to behold! Enjoy it while it lasts.

ETERNAL PERSPECTIVES             by Sally Bair

Bane or blessing

I decided to pull the plug, with a nudge from the Holy Spirit. After weeks of thought and prayer, I called my cable company to disconnect my TV service. On occasion, I had “fasted” from TV watching for a month at a time, but knowing it was still available made it difficult to complete my fasts.

This time it is for keeps. Meanwhile, I’m saving substantially on my monthly cable bill. I posted my decision on Facebook, half-expecting comments about how I was living in the dark ages. Imagine my surprise at reading about others who haven’t watched TV in years!

Already, I see the difference in my writing productivity, in my prayer life, and in the surrounding quietness. I’m no longer tempted to watch favorite shows which I call fluff, that is, without substance.

Why did I wait so long? One woman wrote that she pulled the plug seven years ago and hasn’t regretted it one day. But … I’m a slow learner.

TV watching isn’t necessarily bad. Many good shows are educational, inspirational, and entertaining. But how easily it can take over our lives! I knew a woman who refused to turn off her favorite show even when company came calling. Indeed, I’ve been known to plan parts of my days around the TV schedule. For me, TV watching was my biggest time-robbing habit. Now, when I need some R&R, I take a walk, read, or visit with a friend. Such activities are more valuable to me than sitting  in front of the TV screen.

We all get hung up on senseless or growth-inhibiting habits, don’t we? Part of the Holy Spirit’s fruit is temperance. We call it self-control. Now, there’s a word most of us would rather not hear. The lack of self-control is something most of us struggle with every day. Yet accepting God’s strength and power to overcome whatever habit ensnares us will bring victory, especially when we decide, without hesitation, to pull the plug.

The author of Hebrews writes about spiritual growth as being milk or solid food. “Milk is for beginners, inexperienced in God’s ways; solid food is for the mature, who have some practice in telling right from wrong.” (Hebrews 5:13-14. The Message version)

Lord, reveal to us the time-robbing habits that hinder our mental and spiritual growth. Thank You for Your Spirit’s power and strength that help us overcome these habits. In Jesus’ name, amen.

No comments: