Monday, January 12, 2015

DO I DESERVE THE CREDIT?




Too often I say things like, “Come see what I did.” What I really mean is “Come see what God did for (or through) me.” I must remember that He is the author of every good thing I do. May we all remember.

ETERNAL PERSPECTIVES       by Sally Bair

Where credit is due

As a writer, I know the importance of giving credit where credit is due. Not only is it unethical, it is illegal to take credit for someone else’s work. The charge of plagiarism is serious.

We should all behave ethically in all areas of our lives without even considering whether legal or illegal. When we give credit where it is due, we fulfill God’s commands to love our neighbor as ourselves, which includes doing unto others as we would have them do unto us. Such honesty results in a healthy relationship with God. 

During the time of the new Christian church, a man named Herod ruled over the Jewish people. King Herod, out of jealousy, persecuted the new Christians. And his arrogance and pomposity brought about his demise. One day while dressed in his royal robes, he delivered a public address, after which the listeners shouted, "This is the voice of a god, not of a man." Herod accepted their praise as his due. Acts 12:23 finishes the story: "Immediately, because Herod did not give praise to God, an angel of the Lord struck him down, and he was eaten by worms and died."

Such a story may give us pause about our own honesty. Do we too take credit for the things God gives? "I own this beautiful house," we may say. "Look at the smart child I gave birth to." "Taste the delicious tomatoes I grew in my garden." "I did this all by myself." 

Do we deserve all the credit? Who provided us with the energy and health to hold a job so we could buy a beautiful house? Who gave our child superior IQ? Who gave us the soil in which to grow our delicious tomatoes?

We may not be struck down and eaten by worms, like Herod, but we should recognize the seriousness of not giving credit where it is due, especially to God. "For great is the Lord and most worthy of praise; He is to be feared above all gods." (1 Chronicles 16:25) 

No man, nothing on earth compares to God who made the heavens and the earth and everything in them. All good things come from Him alone. He alone is worthy of praise. He alone should receive our praise.
           
      Father God, help us remember to give praise and
      credit where it is due. Forgive us when we take
      undue credit for ourselves. In the name of Jesus,
      the one of greatest worth. Amen.


No comments: