Monday, February 16, 2015

PSALM 91 IS ALL ABOUT GOD'S PROTECTION



Psalm 91, proclaimed countless times by members of the military and ordinary people like us, has been found to be faithful in miraculous ways. Have you read it lately? Studied it? Memorized it? If not, begin today and expect blessing upon blessing.



ETERNAL PERSPECTIVES            by Sally Bair

A quilted sky

As I drove along the highway one morning, I became mesmerized by the cloud-studded sky. From horizon to horizon, endless rows of narrow, blue-gray clouds filled the heavens. I felt I could have touched the low, puffy covering.

The unusual layers of clouds reminded me of my quilting days, a time when I sold quilts and quilting supplies, a time when I taught the craft of making quilts. Each quilt had a top, a backing, and a filler made of soft cotton, wool, or synthetic fabric. I didn’t always quilt the layers together by hand. Rather, I often used my sewing machine, stitching in long rows from top to bottom. Once sewn, the quilts puffed up like the clouds I saw.

The clouds reminded me of the Israelites wandering the wilderness on their way to their promised land. God’s daily cloud of protection stretched from horizon to horizon. His love and care included every one of His people. I imagine His cloud lay so low they felt they could almost touch it. Nothing harmed them while God covered them.

God’s quilt covers us, too. His protection is close enough to touch and we can bask in His warmth, His softness. While covered, we can cope with the cold, harsh realities of life around us. We also can avoid the cold thoughts and attitudes within us. Our feelings of anger or disappointment dissolve when we settle under His covering of peace. Our despair from loss or rejection turn to joy when we wrap ourselves in His love.

Jesus promises us true rest. He bids us to approach Him. “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)

A cloud-like quilt, covering us when we’re in need, offers us rest. Jesus’ cloud-like quilt of love and forgiveness promises us spiritual rest.

Lord, thank You for Your warm quilt of love and forgiveness. Help us remember to use it whenever we fall short in our walk through life. We invite You to be our protecting quilt. In Jesus’ name, amen. 

No comments: