Tuesday, July 28, 2015

HOW IS YOUR MOUTH BEHAVING?



No wonder some people go to therapists, because most therapists listen without interrupting. When we experience people interrupting our words, we might look within ourselves for the same habit. God is a good listener and we need to be, also. Listening shows love, humility, and grace.


ETERNAL PERSPECTIVES        by Sally Bair

Me and my big mouth

I’m not proud. At least I tell myself that. Trouble is, as soon as I do, I find myself saying something prideful. I can’t seem to win. My egotism is as hard to shake off as a cat clinging to my back.

The sense of self-importance exhibits itself in many forms. I recently related a weather incident to several of my friends. All but one interrupted my story, eager to share their own. By the time they finished, I had forgotten where I had left off. Trouble is, I’m also guilty of interrupting.

One of the biggest symptoms of pride is talking too much about ourselves. Let’s face it, it’s in our nature to want others to know us better, empathize or sympathize with us, hear us out.
And if we fit the “normal” mode, we tell others we’re proud of our kids. Proud of our accomplishments. Proud of the way we look. I’ve noticed that some children who have no siblings develop an inflated ego, often without realizing it. And with today’s selfie culture, egocentrism has magnified. Self is in, humility is out.

False humility exists, too. The desire to appear humble—when we say, “Oh, it was nothing,” rather than “thank you for the compliment”—is as much a symptom of pride as bragging.

We can exhibit pride in other ways, too. Caring too much about what people think about us, avoiding apology for what we’ve said or done, and the related symptom of refusing to forgive. Even fighting against change and unwilling to learn new information is a sign of pride.

Another typical sign of egotism is the desire to correct others. I’m guilty as charged, by the standard of God’s Word. Who am I that I should judge another? God tells us to love ourselves, yes. He also says we must love our neighbor as ourselves. Doing so is a sign of true humility.

Jesus taught that we should not judge others. “And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.” (Matthew 7:3-5)

Lord, thank You for giving us a sense of self-value. Help us to be God-centered instead of self-centered so we will glorify You rather than ourselves. In Jesus’ name, amen.



No comments: