Friday, August 14, 2015

HOW WATCHFUL ARE YOU OF DANGER?



Dangers of every kind surround us daily—dangers to our health, our mind, and spirit. God warns that we must be ever aware of them so we can prevent the subtle seductions that the world places at our feet and in our minds and hearts.

ETERNAL PERSPECTIVES        by Sally Bair

Who are our predators?

I heard a chorus of coyotes one morning, in broad daylight, just as I was about to start my daily walk. While traveling the country road that day, I searched for coyote tracks and found several, as well as the tracks of man and dog. The coyote prints traveled helter-skelter along one side of the road, while Man and Dog’s tracks followed a tidy, straight line on the other side. My head swung back and forth as I constantly searched the edge of the nearby woods and fields for unwelcome foes. I reminded myself of an owl with its head shifting from side to side while looking for prey.

While walking ahead, I kept my mind going faster in prayer than my feet were going. Although imminent danger seemed unlikely, I did not want to meet the pack of coyotes. So I prayed that God’s Spirit would give me supernatural discernment regarding the what and wherefore of danger.

I believe the Holy Spirit anoints us—that is, fills us with supernatural knowledge in times of danger. He not only fills our minds, but our eyes, ears, and other senses. We’ve probably all heard of or read stories about people who have been given special insight in times of imminent danger. Some have smelled danger. Others have actually seen evil things unseen by others. Noises unheard by other people have brought some people the distinct sense of harm.

This is not hokey. Evil spirits surround us, intent on stealing our health, our lives and the lives of our loved ones. Other dangers also appear deceptively harmless. Jesus often reminded His followers to beware of certain dangers regarding their faith. So did Paul in his New Testament letters.

We’re warned not to be taken in by philosophies inconsistent with Christ’s teachings. “Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; and you are complete in Him, Who is the head of all principality and power.”  (Colossians 2:8-9) 

Lord, help us to be watchful always, not only of obvious evil from both four-legged and two-legged creatures, but also of deceptive teachings that can erode our faith in you. In Jesus’ name, amen.


No comments: