Wednesday, August 24, 2016

WHAT'S YOUR VIEW?




Every time we turn our head, we experience a new view—a new view of life, of circumstances, of ourselves. God would have us enjoy new views of Himself, through His Word, prayer, and worship. His character and attributes allow us the best views of all.

ETERNAL PERSPECTIVES           by Sally Bair

New views and friendships

I’ve moved many times in my life, back and forth from country to city to small town. With each move, I’ve been offered a new view. Some I liked, such as the view from my former country place where wild animals often roamed. Others I disliked, including the view into a neighbor’s window so close we could have touched hands. And I once lived next to a concrete wall of the building next door.

I recently moved into a senior apartment building overlooking Lake Superior. What a view! My first home with a lake view also offers other blessings of nature. The large expanse of lawn hosts lovely deciduous trees, a welcome clothesline and patio, a nearby walking trail and thick woods beyond—all within this small town.

The view is so enticing, I keep my binoculars handy to watch for sailboats and picturesque waves on the water. I watch a host of birds indulging at my neighbors’ feeders, numerous squirrels and an occasional fox roaming the grounds. With fall coming soon, my view will include the leaves changing color. Perhaps the “town deer” will make their presence known.

My new view also includes new friends, with opportunities to socialize and share God’s love. New friendships remind me that God wants to be our friend, too. Jesus said, “Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you. (John 15:13-15)

A friend knows what is happening because friends develop deep fellowship by communicating with one another often. Abraham was such a friend. The Bible called him “the friend of God” (James 2:23) because he spent so much time speaking and listening to God for direction, encouragement and power.

We all need friends. Good friendships are fulfilling and rewarding. Friendship with God, however, surpasses that of any others. With whom else can we share our deep secrets, knowing without a doubt they’re safe? Who else offers peace and rest and joy and companionship than God, our Savior and Lord?

Lord, thank You for offering Your friendship and the new views of Your kingdom no matter where we live. Fill us with the joy that comes from our mutual friendship. In Jesus’ name, amen.

No comments: