Wednesday, October 4, 2017

STUDY TO SHOW YOURSELVES APPROVED...



God wants us to know Him more intimately and the only way we can is to study His Word daily and diligently so we will be approved by Him as His ambassadors.

Eternal Perspectives   by Sally Bair

A pair of fawns visits our back yard frequently. The mother often leaves them to play while she wanders ahead to graze. The fawns romp for a bit then stop, look around and study the situation. I can almost hear their thoughts. Shall we run ahead and catch up to mama? Or keep playing until she comes back for us?

We humans, if we’re wise, also study situations before acting. The operative word is wise. Sometimes I’m not as wise as I should be and act without thinking. My impetuous nature has brought me embarrassment and trouble at times. I do, however, take care in my study of God’s Word. I ask myself three questions as I meditate and study.

First I ask myself, who are You, God? The entire Bible shows God’s character, so whatever passage I read will tell me who He is. A God of love … holiness … patience … faithfulness … or another truth about Him.

Next I ask, who am I? Inwardly, we all change from time to time, sometimes from moment to moment. One day we may be angry or judgmental, struggle with a bad habit or set a poor example of love. Another time we may be genuine in our love or perhaps smile on the outside while seething inwardly. The Bible verses we read may show us our strengths but also our weaknesses, causing us to repent.

My final question is, who do You want me to be today? A reading in Exodus may show us we need to stop complaining. The book of Ruth may be the example of loyalty and love we need to strive for in our relationship with others and with God. Studying Philippians may speak to our need to pray for God’s joy to fill us and to pass it along to others.

Bible study is imperative for Christian growth and maturity. “Be diligent [study] to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” (2 Timothy 2:15) The words and ideas of others may be popular, but if not from God’s Word of truth, they are of little value in the eternal perspective of life. Like fawns that are wise enough to study situations before acting, we can accept the wisdom of God’s Word to guide us in our earthly walk.

Lord, thank You for Your living, active Word of truth. Give us the will to study it diligently and the wisdom and guidance to follow it fearlessly. In Jesus’ name, amen.

No comments: