Tuesday, November 21, 2017

GOD IS HAPPY WHEN WE BOND WITH HIM



Who can resist a puppy, especially an obedient one? We make our Lord happy, too, when we obey Him and cling to Him alone.

Eternal Perspectives     by Sally Bair

Puppy Bond

With leash in hand, I walked my nine-week-old puppy down the driveway and then along a nearby trail. Lyddie bonded to me in no time, following me so closely I had to watch my step. She learned quickly where to go for food and water and attention.

Lyddie frightened easily, clinging to me, trying to climb up my leg or crying. I picked her up and soothed her, holding her securely in my arms.

Like a child, however, Lyddie sometimes became independent and disobedient. She pulled at the leash or, when untethered, ran away to sniff out something “tasty” in the compost pile. She objected to me holding her down for her naughtiness but soon learned that misbehavior brought consequences.

Lyddie taught me lessons about bonding with my own Master, the eternal God. Like Lyddie, I feel dependent upon my Father in heaven when it suits me, yet turn away to pursue my own independent activities rather than becoming God-dependent. Like Lyddie, I too, misbehave, disobey or ignore God.

He has plenty to say about bonding. “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.” (John 15:5)
If we decide to cling to God, like a branch to its vine, we will be assured all our needs will be fulfilled and we will enjoy peace with Him and with others. But if we choose to pursue our own desires, we will pay the consequences—if  not here on earth then in eternity.

Puppies learn quickly who’s responsible for their sustenance, care and protection. Sometimes we humans aren’t as quick to learn. We act irresponsibly, forgetting we need to be under God’s protective care. We pull away from Him to do our own thing, but forget that He loves us enough to encourage us into faith and obedience to Him.

A well-trained pup who is loved by its master will do anything to please. As humans we can follow suit, knowing our Master loved us enough to die for us and offer us eternal life with Him. When we choose to bond with Christ, we can be assured that nothing will sever that bond.

Lord, thank You for giving us the freedom to love You, to believe Your Word and to serve You. Help us remember moment by moment to remain firmly bonded to You. In Jesus’ name, amen.  




No comments: