Thursday, October 25, 2018

LET'S NOT GIVE GOD THE CRUMBS OF OUR TIME


It’s one thing to write on our daily schedule the hour(s) we plan to spend with the Lord. It’s another thing to automatically include Him in every activity of the day. Which will it be for you?

Eternal Perspectives              by Sally Bair

Crumbs

I recently spent a long, hectic day signing my books at a craft fair. After the fair I needed to stop at my daughter’s house before beginning my 90-minute drive home. Her daughter and three grandchildren were visiting and I couldn’t wait to see them. But did I have enough energy to prolong my day? Was I getting too old to do all that I wanted to do?

During my drive home after such a short visit with my family, I visualized crumbs and leftovers. As much as I had wanted to visit longer, I ended up settling for the crumbs of their company. My thoughts changed to my prayer-and-Bible-study times with God. How often have I given Him the crumbs and leftovers of my time?

As beneficial and rewarding it is to be busy, busy-ness can go too far. It’s always been hard for me to sit still, but that’s a poor excuse when it comes to spending time with the Lord. After all, He’s my savior and friend, my confidante and provider. He’s the one I should be looking to automatically. But my human nature sometimes rebels against sitting still.

I especially feel guilty when I know that God wants a close relationship with me. I should be practicing the habit that Daniel, of the Old Testament, developed—that of praying three times a day, praising God and thanking Him. Daniel’s routine helped him develop a strong faith that didn’t waiver when he faced the persecution of a lion’s den and more.

Oh, that we all could be Daniels! We too should invite God into our day each morning and then praise Him and speak with Him throughout the day. We can learn to treasure our time alone with Him, meditating on His faithfulness through our Bible study and prayer.

“Your Word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You … I will meditate on Your precepts and contemplate Your ways.” (Psalm 119:11, 15)

New habits take time to develop. And the habit of spending certain times of day with God is invaluable in building our faith, learning where to go and what to do for Him, and bringing us peace and joy in all our circumstances. God knows the struggles we face in our efforts to please Him. May we daily strive to keep our relationship with Him strong and steadfast.

Lord, thank You for Your love and patience despite our failures. Cause us to give You our regular attention rather than the crumbs and leftovers of our time. In Jesus’ name, amen.

No comments: