Friday, May 16, 2014

READY OR NOT, HERE I COME



Remember that old refrain from playing Hide and Seek? Some people may try to play the game with God, but there is no hiding from Him. That fact need not be scary, but will bring joy if our relationship with Him is right. Is yours?

ETERNAL PERSPECTIVES        Sally Bair

Ready for that day

A tabloid headline screamed, “Christ will return on December 25!” For some people that announcement might have seemed scarier than the picture of a Halloween vampire. For others it may have brought smiles. A reader’s reaction would have depended on his or her spiritual standing with Christ.

There have been many other predictions in the past about a date and time of Christ’s return. None have been accurate, obviously, because no one knows when He’ll return. Jesus said, “You … must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.” (Luke 12:40)

The question, “Are you ready for his return?” should cause all of us to stop and consider. On that day, will we fall before Him with fear and trembling, knowing we never heeded an evangelist or pastor’s call—or a grandmother’s prayer—to repent and turn our life over to Christ? Or will we welcome Him, assured we will be taken to heaven to live with Him in eternal joy?

We all will face our eternal destiny some day, whether by accident, illness, or Christ’s return. Luke 9:59-62 says: “(Jesus) said to another man, ‘Follow me.’ But the man replied, ‘Lord, first let me go and bury my father.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.’ Still another said, ‘I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family.’ Jesus replied, ‘No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.’” 

Why wait? To see the kids graduate … pay off the mortgage … finish college … give up drinking or drugs … get revenge for someone’s wrong … take the family on a dream vacation … sow wild oats while there’s still time? 

No excuse will hold back Jesus’ return. “I tell you, now is … the day of salvation.” (2 Corinthians 6:2)  For the sake of your eternal destiny, please don’t delay your decision. God can change your life with this simple, heartfelt prayer:

Lord, I choose to believe You’ll forgive me and I admit that I’m a sinner. I confess my sins to You and turn from them. Thank You for the joy and peace that comes from accepting You and for the promise of spending eternity with You. In Jesus’ name, amen.



No comments: