Monday, August 18, 2014

WHO'S WATCHING YOU?



Walking in God’s will, rather than in our own, brings the utmost peace and joy we can imagine. Walking in His light dispels any darkness around. Hallelujah!

ETERNAL PERSPECTIVES        By Sally Bair

God’s eyes

When walking along the edge of the woods near my former, country house, I’d wonder how many pairs of eyes were peering at me from behind the shadowed trees. Besides the ever-present deer, raccoons, and skunks, I envisioned wolves, cougars, and bears as well. With effort, I’d have to pull my thoughts away from the possibility of meeting any such critters. The fact remained, however, that hiding eyes surely were staring at me.

My woods experiences cause me to think about God’s eyes. How many times have we done something in secret—something we knew was wrong—and then remembered that God could see us all along? I spent several years trying to hide my misdeeds from God until I finally realized there is no hiding from God.

When we make it a habit to be upfront and honest about what we say or do, however, we usually don’t think about God watching us. At such times there is no guilt, no feeling of condemnation, and no anger. That’s just how God wants it. He wants us all to be honest as He is honest with us.

King David wrote a beautiful psalm that speaks about God’s eyes that see all. Psalm 139 in part tells us, “You know when I sit and when I rise … before a word is on my tongue, You know it completely. Where can I go from Your Spirit?  Where can I flee from Your presence? … If I say, ‘Surely the darkness will hide me … even the darkness will not be dark to You; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to You’.”

If we do right and are in harmony with God’s will, the fact that He sees us will give us joy in knowing His protection and help are near and knowing He’s pleased with us. Deliberately straying from His will by being disobedient and dishonest, however, will cause stress and unhappiness and a whole lot more. Only confession and repentance will restore our relationship with Him.

A good Bible verse for all of us to remember is Proverbs 15:3: “The eyes of the Lord are everywhere, keeping watch on the wicked and the good.”

Lord, help us remember that there is no hiding from You. Forgive us for the times we have done wrong, thinking that no one would see, not even You. Thank You for keeping watch over us day and night. In Jesus’ name, amen.


No comments: