Sunday, September 3, 2017

SEEING JESUS FROM A HIGHER PLANE



Sometimes we have to change our perspective in order to see Jesus in a new light. He would have us be open to such changes as He gives.

Eternal Perspectives     by Sally Bair                       

A higher plane

As a kid, I illegally climbed my home town’s old water tower. A few friends and I decided we needed a new perspective on the world. Though I wouldn’t admit it, I was scared stiff. When I reached the third rung I wanted to quit but wouldn’t chicken out. If my friends could do it, so could I.

Once I reached the tenth rung, I began to talk to myself. “One step at a time.” “Don’t look down.” “You can do it.” And I did! I’d never been so high up before. Standing secure on the circular walkway and overlooking the vast panorama of autumn leaves in the distance, I felt guilty, yet giddy with pride.

The experience left a mark on my memory. I had accomplished something risky, conquering fear in the process. My perspective of the world and of myself had changed.

Sometimes it takes a new experience to change our perspective, like that of Zacchaeus, a hated tax collector. The short man climbed a tree in order to see Jesus, who was walking amid a large crowd. His encounter with Jesus changed him. Though giddy with joy, his guilt at short-changing people brought him to repentance and new life. He welcomed Jesus into his home, and said, “Look, Lord, I give half of my possessions to the poor; and if I have taken anything from anyone by false accusation, I restore fourfold.” (Luke 19:8)

Like Zacchaeus, our view of Jesus can become enlarged, as mine did from the top of the water tower. He realized his wrongdoing. May we too realize our sins as we view Jesus from a higher plane.

Lord, change us from the inside out as we encounter You in Your Word, in prayer, and in fellowship with others. In Jesus’ name, amen.

(Reprinted from The Nature of God: Autumn’s Splendor Daily Devotionals by Sally Bair.)

No comments: