Wednesday, September 20, 2017

SEEK THE LIGHT OF GOD'S LOVE



Too many times we seek the light of someone or something else, which illuminates for a while but eventually sputters into oblivion. Only the light of God’s love, through His Word and presence, will shine bright enough to keep us from straying off any path.

Eternal perspectives   by Sally Bair

God’s light

My friends and I didn’t reach our destination, a waterfall, until dark and then we had to hike back to our vehicles. The canopy of the thick woods hid all light, even that from the stars. I couldn’t see my hand in front of me. What I did see, however, was the milk-white t-shirt worn by the guy in front of me. As we stumbled along the trail, I clung to the back of his shirt, happy for the bit of light it produced. As long as I hung on, I knew I’d reach our destination.

The comforting glow of that t-shirt reminded me of God’s light. In the literal sense, God made light to shine in the form of the sun, moon and stars. “Let there be light,” He said during His creation of the universe. During the exodus of His people through an unknown wilderness, He guided them with a pillar of fire during the nights they traveled. When Paul encountered God on the Damascus Road, he was blinded by supernatural light. Other biblical examples point to God’s guiding light as well.

We also understand light in the metaphoric sense. “Her smile lights up her face,” we hear. “Ah, I get it now. A lightbulb just went off in my brain.” And the Bible uses the metaphor of light when describing our relationship with God. “Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in Heaven.” (Matthew 14:16)

Jesus said, “I am the Light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness but have the light of life.” (John 8:12) In the Bible, darkness denotes sin and evil. It conjures up thoughts of hiding the truth. Who would want to walk in the dark when we could have light to guide us, as I did with my friend’s white t-shirt? Isn’t it logical to want the security, protection and peace that light gives us?

Jesus offers life-saving, life-enhancing light. He has promised that as long as “hang on” to Him and turn away from the darkness of sin, we will reach our destination of fellowship and eternal life with Him..

Lord, thank You for being our Light. Give us the desire and will to cling to Your light as I clung to the white t-shirt of the person who led me to my destination that evening. In Jesus’ name, amen.

No comments: