Tuesday, July 3, 2018

HEARING GOD OVER THE NOISY STORMS OF LIFE


The recent storms we’ve encountered may have been noisy, but God can quiet the storms of our lives through our abiding faith in His promises and power.

Eternal Perspectives              by Sally Bair

Noisy storms

In light of the severe storms we’ve experienced recently, I was reminded of a column I wrote several years ago, one I included in my book, The Nature of God: Daily Devotionals Celebrating Summer. I include it here, hoping you too are reminded to remain faithful to God’s promises in the midst of the severest of life’s storms.

Nature can be noisy. During a heavy rainstorm, we must shout to be heard. In the 1800s when grasshoppers invaded the prairies, the noise of their wings and chirring made it impossible for homesteaders to hear anything else. Tornadoes are as noisy as freight trains.

But some outwardly quiet things such as the death of a loved one, a divorce, disease, or other losses, can be just as noisy to our internal ear as a loud storm.

The Old Testament prophet Job faced a life-changing storm when God allowed Satan to take everything away from him. Although he never cursed God, his inner voice screamed doubt and anguish. “Oh, that I knew where I might find Him,” Job said. “I go forward, but He is not there, and backward, but I cannot perceive Him … But He knows the way that I take; when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold.” (Job 23:8-10 in part)

Although unsure, Job still clung to his weakened faith. If we had faced the same situation, would we have clung to our faith? Or would we have asked God, “How can You do this to me, Lord? I’m a good person. Aren’t You a God of love? Where are You, Lord? I can’t hear You. Where’s the justice?”

Like Job, sometimes we struggle with doubt during trials. Our questions and complaints may become such an internal roar we can’t hear God’s voice. We can unstop our ears from the noisy din of suffering and anguish by choosing in faith, however, weak, to submit to God’s sovereignty. His plans are good, though during life’s storms we can’t always see them completed. We can only trust.

Lord, keep our internal ears free from the noise of our complaints, doubts, and anguish that come from life’s storms. We want and need to hear Your clear voice through Your Word and Spirit. in Jesus’ name, amen.

No comments: