Tuesday, July 17, 2018

THE NAME OF JESUS HAS GREAT AUTHORITY AND POWER


Eternal Perspectives              by Sally Bair

The name of Jesus

In my childhood whenever I disobeyed, I knew the exact time my mom had had enough of my wrong behavior or sass. Her name alone, “Mom,” had enough authority and power to make me obey, but also to bring me happiness and fulfillment.

The words of Jesus have even greater power. Of all the stories and words contained in the Bible, I know none would have any meaning without the words He spoke. If I had to choose among the 66 books of Scripture, the Gospels would be my first choice because they contain all the words I need for my salvation and growth in the Christian faith.

The other books also hold great meaning. I especially enjoy the Psalms and love the Old Testament stories about the patriarchs. But nothing compares to Jesus’ words. “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.” (John 6:63)

Throughout history, people have avoided the name of Jesus. Many even today deny that He rose bodily from the dead, that He is God’s only Son, that He has power to forgive sins and heal diseases and cast out demons and raise the dead. But the Gospels authenticate Jesus’ supernatural power. They contain irrefutable truths about Him.

When Peter used Jesus’ name to bring healing to a crippled man, it happened. “In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk. …And His name, through faith in His name, has made this man strong …” (Acts 3:16)

“Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” (Philippians 2:9-11)

We’re all reminded to use the name of Jesus in all instances. Paul wrote in Colossians 3:17, “And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.”

Thank You, Lord God, for Your Son, Jesus, and the power of His name. Remind us daily to use that power for our healing and help and for that of those around us. Because we believe in that power, we ask this in Jesus’ name, amen.           

No comments: